Wednesday, May 5, 2010

All the Art out there: Richard Hall

This was posted on the weblog All the Art out there: Richard Hall

Monday, May 3, 2010

Richard Hall

Richard Hall is a straightforward (though I can't say no nonsense) realist painter. His technique and compositional approach are very traditional and very formal. Which may sound fine and dandy but is in fact an approach filled with the greatest of pitfalls. Without exceptional skill and vision, work of this sort generally falls into the vast and endless pool of somewhat boring but pretty good art that litter art markets everywhere. Mr. Hall is more than just pretty good and his some nonsense approach push his work into a subtle category of its own. The tension in this first painting stands out as a brilliantly executed piece of visual humor. But (and I'm sorry to have to say this Mr. Hall) I can't even bring myself to use the title. The wit and elegance of the painting is self evident, but the title/puns are a little much for me. But while a title can add something to a piece I don't think it can subtract. The titles have absolutely no hold on the work itself which is quite simply, exquisite and I anxiously await his pieces to appear on his blog. richardhallfineart.blogspot.com
Also make sure you check out his website: richardhallfineart.com


No comments: