Friday, January 8, 2010

CELEBRATE 2010

The 20th Celebration of Fine Art is rapidly approaching. I'm putting the finishing touches on the last few paintings and getting ready to build my display.

This year I will have mainly still life paintings. As I look over the new work, I've noticed that they are a 180 degree turn from the large scale, calm, landscapes I've been painting for the last few years. I think the change reflects some of the changes in my own life.

One major change is having a twenty-month old grandchild (and a second one on the way.) The house is filled with toys and play, and my paintings reflect some of the fun. I'm am always searching for something interesting to show little Evelyn, so my studio is now full of silly hats, and weird and colorful objects. While the paintings are complex, technically difficult and challenging, I try to instill some fun in them.

The new paintings also have to do with keeping things in balance. I think the current state of the economy and the world has inspired me, because these days, it is more and more difficult to maintain balance in our lives.

The Celebration of Fine Art opens on January 16, 2010 and runs through March 28th.
Hours are 10am - 6pm dailly.

No comments: